Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fifty Shades Darker by E L James

(Fifty Shades trilogy, book 2)
Daunted by the singular tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.
But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Ana cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Ana learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades.
While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Ana must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.

WARNING: This book contains very graphic sexual situations, and frequent profanity. 

Well, I think I like this book better than the first; however I’m not sure I’m sold on this trilogy. It just seems a little hard to buy, in my opinion. This book goes more in depth to the demons Christian is battling, and explains more of why he is the why he is…mentally and sexually. I know I mentioned in my review of the first book, Fifty Shades of Grey, that I didn’t really want Christian and Ana to end up together. My mind has been swayed slightly after finishing this book, but I still don’t find him all that likable. I like that you get more of a background on Christian in this book, and honestly I did start to feel for him after hearing of all the trauma he sustained throughout his childhood. However, it seems like every time I started to pull for him and Ana’s relationship, he would do something that just flat out irritated me and made me revert back to my original opinion…that 70% of the time I don’t really care for him. The incident involving Christian and Ana’s job at the publishing company just flat out made me want to smack him!

I appreciated that the author let us know a little more about Christian and Mrs. Robinson’s past relationship, because I was intrigued by it after reading the first book. You finally get to see her through Christian’s eyes, as opposed to Ana’s view point, which is obviously not positive. The storyline regarding the other submissive that you are introduced is a little whacko. Maybe E.L. James felt there needed to be another antagonist, but I didn’t really buy into that part of the story.

Christian and Ana both take big steps in their relationship in this book, and you really get to see how his feelings towards her have changed. The end of the book was slightly predictable, but overall I’d say it was a smidge better than Fifty Shades of Grey. I’m not in love with this trilogy, but I feel like I have to read the last book just to see how this ends. 




Purchase on Amazon Kindle
Purchase from Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment