Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry

(Pushing The Limits series, book 1)
No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with “freaky” scars on her arms. Even Echo can’t remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprisingly understanding, Echo’s world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together in pretty much impossible.
Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she’ll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

“I watched you battle against the worst memory of your life and I watched you win. Make no mistake, Echo. I battled right beside you. You need to find some trust in me…in us.” - Noah

SWEET MOSES! This book was just beyond incredible. I love, love, LOVED IT!! I actually had this downloaded on my Nook for a couple months and completely forgot about it (I download books like it’s nobody’s business) and as I was cruising Goodreads I saw someone’s review, and I thought “Don’t I have that book downloaded already?” You bet your ass I did, and after the rave review I decided to bump it to the top of my to-read list. I am so glad I did; I fell completely head over heels in love with these characters. (I also kind of wanted to punch myself in the face for having this book for so long and not reading it buuut…let’s move on.)

Echo used to be one of the “it-girls” at her high school; she was smart, pretty, popular, a member of the dance team, and dating one of the hottest guys in school. Now, she’s a social pariah who keeps to herself, and always wears long sleeves to cover up the scars on her arms that fuel the gossip mill; the scars that Echo wishes she had answers for. She has managed to block out that entire day and has no recollection of what actually happened to her. As if that wasn’t enough, she is still reeling from death of her brother, Aires, who was killed in Afghanistan and the idea of her father being remarried to her former nanny. While her overbearing father and his new, young wife try to push Echo back towards normalcy, she finds herself at a standstill: what is normal anymore?

Noah didn’t used to be a pot-smoking loner; he was a star basketball player, got good grades, and made plans to attend college after high school. All that changed when he became a product of the system after his parents were killed in a house fire. He was labeled emotionally unstable, and was no longer allowed to see his two younger brothers. Feeling helpless, he turned to drugs and let his grades slip. Little does he know, a fiery red head is about to change his whole outlook on life, love, and everything in between.

I honestly can’t say enough positive things about this book. It had two of the most honest, raw, damaged characters I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing and I seriously don’t think I could love them anymore than I already do. I was rooting for Echo and Noah from page 1 and my heart ached for them; here are two people who have done nothing to deserve the hand they’ve been dealt and yet they have to play it. Their evolution from acquaintances to a couple was perfectly written, well timed, and heartwarming. I wanted them together all along, but the moment that put it over was when Noah met Echo’s dad and stepmom; he performs such a small gesture but it just made my heart beyond happy! (Excuse me for a moment while I swoon…)

….Okay, I think I’m good….

This book made me laugh out loud and made me cry; it made my heart break and made it swell; it’s just fucking incredible. The ease with which Katie McGarry transitioned between Echo and Noah’s POV was impressive, and the writing style in general was great. Seriously, this is one the best books I have read this year and if you haven’t read it yet, you REALLY don’t know what you’re missing. You need some Echo and Noah in your life; TRUST ME! These two characters are just fucking amazing!!! If you haven’t read this book, buy it now; just don’t do what I did and let it sit in your e-reader unread for months.  *facepalm*




No comments:

Post a Comment