Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

(The Coincidence series, book 1)
There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems hi life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

You know how sometimes you build something up so much in your mind that no matter how good it really is, it isn’t as good as you thought it would be?? I think maybe that’s the case with The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden; maybe. I read so many reviews just absolutely raving about how amazing it this novel was and I amped it up in my head as, “THIS BOOK IS GOING TO BE FREAKING AMAZING!!!!”

And it just wasn’t to me.

I loved the idea of this story – two broken people trying to save each other. I freaking devour those kinds of books at the same speed that a fat kid inhales more than their fair share of cake; so imagine my surprise when I finished this novel, and I wasn’t retching with pain for these characters or immediately trying to figure out if the sequel has a release date yet or swearing Jessica Sorensen for leaving me hanging – I didn’t really feel any of that. I didn’t really feel anything, to be honest. I wasn’t surprised by the ending, nor did it have the effect on me that it had on the majority of the readers whose (spoiler free) reviews I’ve read so far. I saw it coming – maybe that’s why I wasn’t devastated that it ended there.

I just felt like I was constantly waiting for some big moment that would just blow me away and make me fall in love with these two; some moment that would skyrocket this book to a 5 star rating; that moment never came for me. I was left waiting for something amazing that never happened. I’m sure I’ll still read the sequel when it’s released, and maybe it will make me see what everyone else saw in this story.

It’s not a bad novel, but it’s just not great either. I wanted something more for these characters, something to make me invested in them. Sure, I felt bad for them and the hands they had been dealt, but that’s not enough to make me fall in love with them as a couple. I can’t put my finger on it, but I just felt like something was missing. I’m in the minority with my opinion, so maybe I’m missing something. I don’t know. I went into this expecting a knock my socks off story, and walked away with my socks and shoes still very much on…unfortunately. 








No comments:

Post a Comment