Monday, June 11, 2012

Boycotts & Barflies by Victoria Michaels


After an endless string of bad dates and a generally pathetic love life, Grace Park and her friends decide to boycott men for six weeks. With a fantastic pair of shoes on the line for the woman who makes it to the end without breaking any rules, the competition gets fierce. Sparks fly a few days into the bet when Grace and her friends cross paths with a sexy bartender named Michael Andris who happens to have a little bet of his own going with his friends…
In this hilarious debut novel, Victoria Michaels brings us a colorful and relatable cast of characters. She sends them on a sweet and sexy escapade as they sidestep one booby trap after another, manage the best of misguided intentions, and exert a whole lot of willpower and self-control as they race down the path to true love.
Winning isn’t everything…or is it?

“Shoes, money, eternal bragging rights…Shoes, money, eternal bragging rights…” - Grace

I can’t remember the last book I read that made me laugh out loud so many times! There wasn't one character I didn’t like, and the banter between all of them was incredibly entertaining. Best friends and roommates Grace, Meg, and Bianca all decide to boycott all men for six weeks after having tons of horrible dates, and whoever is the last one standing wins money to put towards an amazing pair of heels. Meanwhile, three hot bartenders and best friends Michael, Jack, and Ryan created their own bet after they all got tired of dating dumb “barflies.” They decided to throw down money, meet nice girls somewhere other than the bar, and whoever goes the longest without having sex with a barfly wins.

Seriously, this book made me want to be best friends with all three girls and made me want to date all three guys. The visual I painted in my head of the three guys was…distracting, to say the least! Whew. BUT…I would have my say my favorite two characters were Bianca and Jack. She is so feisty and he is just so damn hilarious! I was cracking up while Meg and Bianca were recounting some of Grace’s worst dates while at dinner with the guys one night; from a dull insurance salesman to a creepy mortician known as “Dead Fred” to the earthy poet who refused to wear deodorant, eat meat or bathe every day…but drove a Hummer. Oh, and the “weiner story” had me rolling! I thought it was funny when Bianca first told it, but then to hear the guy’s side of the story just put it over the top for me! I was laughing out loud at my desk at work. It is that damn funny.

The main reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because the probability of all these characters running into each other time after time seems a little bit farfetched. It was also a little unlikely that both groups of best friends would make similar bets at the exact same time, and just happen to stumble upon each other during the bets. However, I still absolutely adored this book and all the relationships in it. This is also the first romance book I’ve read in a while that didn’t involve a catastrophic conflict between the relationships. There were a few snags (the one involving the creepy hotel worker made me cringe a little) but I actually enjoyed that there weren’t any huge issues for the couples to overcome. Well, no huge issues besides the whole resisting-gorgeous-men thing. These girls had some serious willpower! I’m not sure if I could hold out that long with that much tempation and that’s saying A LOT because I have a serious shoe fetish!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this hilarious novel and look forward to reading more work from Victoria Andrews. The relationships were real, the characters were lovable and witty, and I seriously had a stupid grin plastered on my face the entire time I read this book. It is by far the best Chick Lit book I have read, and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a light, rib-tickling romance novel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment