Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Callum & Harper by Fisher Amelie

(Sleepless series, book 1)
Life sucks for orphans Callum Tate and Harper Bailey.
Kicked out of their foster homes because they suffer the ‘eighteen disease’ with nothing but a hundred dollar check from the government and a pat on the back, they’re forced to rely on a system that failed them miserably.
So they sit. They sit inside Social Services, waiting for their social workers to call their names and offer them a miracle they know will never come but they sit anyway because they have nowhere else to go, no other options on their very literal and figurative empty plates.
But as they sit, they notice each other. Although captivated, they each come to the conclusion that life is complicated enough without throwing in a boiling tension that can’t ever be acted upon because they’re both too busy thinking about where their next meal will come from but when their names are called and both are placed on a year long waiting list for permanent housing, suddenly relying on each other seems like a very viable plan B. And, oh, how lovely Plan B’s can be.
Well, except for the psycho from Harper’s past that haunts her and, oh, yeah, there’s the little issue that neither of them knows they’re in love with the other. 


“One day, you and I are gonna wake up and be alright. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but one day. One day. I promise you.” – Callum

I had read three excellent romance novels within the past couple weeks, and now Callum & Harper makes it four. I can’t quite give it 5 stars, but we’ll get into why a little later. The storyline was moving, original, and heart wrenching. Callum and Harper are kicked out of their foster homes when they turn eighteen, as their foster parents no longer receive compensation for taking care of them. With both of them being part of the ‘system’ for years, they are now on their own, jobless, homeless, and broke. Then, as fate would have it, they meet at Social Services and are immediately drawn to each other…yet can’t find the nerve to tell the other, and they both think the other just wants to be friends. I loved the change in POV as it shifted back and forth between Callum and Harper, especially when the same incident was narrated from both of them. I thought it was an excellent way to show how each of them felt about the other, and added to the turmoil of the reader knowing that they were both in love with each other and just too afraid to admit it.

Now, here are the two reasons why I couldn’t quite give it 5 stars; first of all, the quickness of their complete infatuation with each other. Don’t get me wrong, I believe in lust at first sight and I know all about the tingles and jingles you start feeling when you meet someone and are immediately attracted to them…but this seemed like it was poured on thiiick like molasses right off the bat. Aside from that, I absolutely love Callum and Harper together! They were essentially each other’s savior and became the family that neither of them had. The other reason I couldn’t give it 5 stars was because of the lack of communication between the two of them regarding their feelings. I can understand that they didn’t want to say anything because they were both scared of ruining what they had and were both terrified of losing the other. I just felt like the whole ‘hiding how they both really felt’ thing lasted a little too long. I mean, I was legit getting frustrated when I was over halfway through the book and they STILL hadn’t told each other how they really felt! I know they were both holding onto each other in any way they could without ruining it, but how long can you really pretend like you only want to be friends with someone when you’re completely infatuated with them? I think Callum and Harper set a record.

I felt for both of them so much, especially when it seemed like absolutely nothing could go their way; it was like they’d take one step forward and the world would push them five steps back. I’ll admit, some of the incidents seemed a little far-fetched but they did add a welcome element of suspense to the storyline. Time after time, they both proved that there wasn’t anything they wouldn’t do for each other and it just proved how pure and real their love for each other really was. Ahhh, I’m such a sucker for a good romance!

Overall, I really loved Callum & Harper. They found each other when both of them seemed lost, and managed to help each other learn how to survive in a cruel world that had turned its back on them so many times. They really are soul mates, and their love for each other is inspiring. This is a great romantic story, and the epilogue is flawless. Seriously…go and buy this book now. I promise you won’t be disappointed! 




No comments:

Post a Comment