Monday, August 13, 2012

Wicked by Sara Shepard

(Pretty Little Liars series, book 5)
In idyllic Rosewood, Pennsylvania, four very pretty girls just can’t help but be bad…
Hanna will do anything to be Rosewood’s queen bee. Spencer’s digging up her family’s secrets. Emily can’t stop thinking about her new boyfriend. And Aria approves a little too strongly of her mom’s taste in men.
Now that Ali’s killer is finally behind bars, the girls think they’re safe. But those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. And they should know by now that I’m always watching…

This was my favorite book of the series so far and I’m a lot more amped to read the rest of the series than I was the first four books. Why, you ask? Well, because I watch the show which so far has followed the first five books. The first four books were good, but the mystery wasn’t really there for me since I knew what was going to happen; now I’m finally at the place where I can try and figure out who the new “-A” is and not already know! Bomb dotcom.

The girls are still coping with two major things concerning Mona: 1) she was “-A” and 2) she’s dead. Hanna has not only lost her best friend, but she is trying to decipher why Mona would torture her for months and threaten to reveal all her secrets. Was she never really her friend at all? As if that’s not enough on Hanna’s plate, her father, and soon-to-be stepmother and stepsister are now living with her while her mom is away in Singapore. Kate tells Hanna a deep secret of her own, which leads Hanna to believe maybe she really does want to be friends with her after all. Ohh, Hanna…you’re so gullible.

Spencer has uncovered a family secret that has the potential to turn her entire world upside down, Aria is just a little too close to her mom’s new boyfriend, and Emily has a new boyfriend. Yep, that’s right…a boyfriend. I guess maybe she’s bi? Who knows; regardless, I like Isaac way more than I do Maya so go get you some, girl! Oh, and Spencer finally has some sparks fly with Andrew Campbell. It was a little predictable, but it’s about time that girl had a love interest!

Sure, they all still have issues to work through, but with the death of Mona and Ian Thomas locked up in jail awaiting trial for the murder of Alison, the girls finally feel safe. No more “-A”, no more Rosewood stalker, no more killer wandering the streets of Rosewood. But when Ian is released on bail to visit his dying mother, the mysterious texts start up again…and this time, they’re even worse. The new “-A” doesn’t just send threatening text messages; they have incriminating pictures that could tear some of the girls’ families apart. Just when the girls are so sure that Ian is behind the texts, they discover something. Something that means there is no possible way Ian is the new “-A.” Now they are back at square one, trying to figure out who wants to make sure Mona’s torture of them continues…and that means they also have to figure out who else in Rosewood knows all their secrets.

I liked the first four books in the series, but this is the first one that I really found myself enthralled with. I know a lot of that has to do with the fact that I knew who the original “-A” was, but now I’m in the dark just as much as the girls. Sara Shepard does a fantastic job of making you think you have finally caught on enough to figure out the mystery, then she pulls the rug out from under you and makes you realize you have no idea who “-A” is…or if Ian is really Alison’s killer. Wicked ends with a wicked huge cliffhanger (see what I did there..?) so I would recommend having the next book, Killer, ready to rock. Sh*t is about to get real…




No comments:

Post a Comment