Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Ten Days of Perfect by Andrea Randall

(November Blue series, book 1)
Scars from her first love and the reckless lifestyle of her parents force Ember Harris to chart a new course. She favors practicality over spontaneity and rules over a broken heart.

An encounter with a musician at a local pub forces Ember into making a decision to let go or hold on for dear life as passions are unlocked and deceptions revealed.

Unfortunately, I can sum up my feelings for this in three words: not a fan.

The story line is: Princeton Girl meets Super-Hot Musician Guy at the bar. They sing together. They immediately fall in love.

That’s it. There’s the plot.

Okay, fine, there is slight drama mixed in (and I do mean slight) but overall, that is the whole story and unfortunately, it just wasn’t very good in my opinion. The romance was soooo rushed. I’m not a huge fan of love-at-first-sight romances, but there are some instances where they work, i.e. Callum & Harper. This one just didn’t do anything for me. They are head over heels in love after about 5 days into their “perfect” ten days together. Seriously? Come on…seriously?! She has probably had milk in her refrigerator for longer than she’s known this dude! GAH! I also take issue with the fact that they were “ten days of perfect”, because it didn’t seem anywhere near perfect. With all of her internal and external back and forth arguments about her feelings for him, the issue of his/her job interfering, issues with her ex…I can say with all certainty that is not 10 days of perfect.

I didn’t feel anything between Bo and Ember – no butterflies, no tingles and jingles – nothing. Their romance felt forced and unfortunately, a little flat. I didn’t find myself rooting for them like crazy, or even necessarily caring if they ended up together or not, which really bums me out.

OH GOD. And the cheesiness was so ridiculous that it wasn’t even romantic; it was funny. Here is just one, tiny example:
“It wasn’t my body he was trying to please – it was my spirit, my soul, my core.”
For real – that is an actual line from this book. Um…yeah, I got nothin’. Just…REALLY?!  

I saw so many 4 and 5 star reviews that I thought for sure I’d dig this novel, but clearly I’m in the minority. Maybe I got a different copy or something? (Kidding, of course.) I wish I would have enjoyed this story as much as it seems the majority of people did, but this was one of those novels where I was constantly checking how much I had left. I started skimming at about 60% and didn’t stop until I hit about 90%. I haven't decided if I'll attempt the second book in this series; if I do, I doubt it will be any time soon.   





No comments:

Post a Comment