Monday, July 16, 2012

Insanity by Lauren Hammond

(Asylum series, book 1)
Sometimes love…can drive you crazy.
Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn’t be more opposite. Adelaide’s mother abandoned her when she was ten years old, leaving her to be raised by her abusive and alcoholic father. Damien on the other hand came from a wealthy family, was a local celebrity, and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him.
Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, and fiercely in love. And they had a plan. They were going to run away. Be together forever. And their plan was set in motion, until tragedy struck and for some reason, Adelaide wound up in The Oakhill Institution for the insane.
Adelaide has no idea what she did to wind up at Oakhill, but she knows one thing for sure…she wants out. And after Damien follows her there to aid in her escaping, Adelaide slowly begins putting together the pieces of her memory that are missing.
And it doesn’t take Adelaide long to figure out that sometimes…that one true love never dies.

“I’m like a whirlpool in the middle of a choppy sea, once you’re in my grasp I’ll have no choice, I’ll snatch you by the leg, and pull you under.” –Addy

I just…How can I…WHAT THE F*CK JUST HAPPENED?!? I finished this book a few hours ago, and I am still trying to put this review into words. I had heard that Insanity would mess with my head but I had no idea just how much! It seemed like just when I was starting to maaaaybe understand what was going on, I got sucker punched in the back of the head and lost my bearings…again! There were several instances throughout the book that I went back and read again because I’m not gonna lie, I felt dumb. I hate when I read a book and I feel like I might know what just happened but I’m not completely certain. I’m sitting here talking to myself saying, “well, I think she did…but maybe she didn’t…or maybe HE…” Yes, I was sitting here having a conversation with myself trying to decide if I had just read this sh*t right…I started feeling like maybe I should be committed to Oakhill! Kidding…maybe ;) 

The crazy love story of Addy and Damien is just freaking wonderful. The sacrifices he was willing to…and did make…just to be with her proved that she really was his whole world. They were the couple that never should have been; he came from old money, planned on going to Yale for college, and was the hottest bachelor in town. She came from nothing, felt like she had no future, and dealt with an abusive, drunk father on a daily basis. With his mother telling Addy that she didn’t want her son “slumming it” with her, and her father never letting her ride in a car with a boy…let alone DATE a boy…they had the odds stacked against them, and they never let it matter. They found a way and made a plan to run away together.

The parts of the book with Addy in Oakhill…just…wow. I feel like I can’t really say a whole lot because I absolutely don’t want to give away any spoilers and ruin it, but sweet sassy molassy! Oakhill is just…not right. The pills that make people go mentally numb, the screams they hear from time to time coming from the basement because of electroshock therapy, her crazy roommate, and the handsome but terrifying Dr. Watson all make up the horrifying reality that is now Addy’s world…but she’s determined to escape with the help of Damien, because she’s not crazy. She’s not. Or is she???

This is one of the best books I have read this year and the ending, of course made me freaking cry! Honestly, could I be any more emotional?! Let’s all hope not…cripes. Any who, if you like trippy books, I would absolutely recommend Insanity. But hey, don’t say I didn’t warn you…prepare to be mindf*cked!! (I would say mindfreaked to keep it clean, but that makes me think of Criss Angel and that guy is a douche.)

No comments:

Post a Comment