Tuesday, July 17, 2012

White Walls by Lauren Hammond

(Asylum series, book 2)
Adelaide Carmichael knows that she lost her mind. She’s aware that she’s being sent to The Oakhill Institution, but she’s been told that she’s being sent there to get better. She’s been told that the staff is there to help.
And it doesn’t take Adelaide long to discover that she was very, very wrong about The Oakhill Institution. Patients roam the halls like zombies. Electric current vibrate through the plaster walls. Patients are fed sedatives like mashed potatoes and now Adelaide knows one thing for sure, she wants out.
And she’ll do whatever she can to escape.

“Something else tells me that we just might be what each other needs to keep each other from falling apart.” – Addy

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy. I’m kind of at a loss for where to start with this review...in a good way. Although White Walls wasn’t quite as good as Insanity, I still absolutely loved it. First of all, I have to admit something… when I started this book, I didn’t know it was going to tell the story of Addy’s first trip to Oakhill and finally tell us why she always felt a connection to Dr. Watson in Insanity; I thought it was picking up where we left off so I was all sorts of confused. Whatever, I’ll chalk it up to having a blonde moment I guess. Secondly, I loved that this book had a different feel to it; Insanity was kind of a f*cked up, heartbreaking rollercoaster ride, but White Walls kind of has the overlying feelings of hope and contentment. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still intense, but I think the crazy is dialed down a notch or two.

Addy seems a little more lucid while she’s at Oakhill during this book, and isn’t quite as defiant and batsh*t crazy as she is in Insanity, although she’s definitely a few crayons short of a box. She’s dealing with finding out the truth about what really happened to her mother, the aftermath of father’s trial, and of course, Damien. You know, I’m just not really digging Damien anymore. The way Addy sees him and how he “acts” towards her makes me want to punch him in the throat…if I could, of course. And honestly, who needs Damien when you have Elijah Watson?!

My, oh my…Elijah Watson. I swooned over him more than I ever did for Damien to be completely honest. The relationship between him and Addy had me grinning like the freaking Cheshire cat, and the more I learned about Elijah’s background, the more I was convinced that he and Addy are two peas in a pod; they just belong together.

I loved this book, just not quite as much as Insanity. I am super antsy to read the third book, and judging by the short excerpt at the end of White Walls, it’s going to blow my freaking mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment