Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thomas & January by Fisher Amelie

(Sleepless series, book 2)
Thomas Eriksson thinks he has it all figured out.
“People crossed the street when they saw me. I’m not really sure why that was. I mean, okay, I might have looked a bit intimidating if I was being truthful with you. I’d changed since New York. New York represented a life that wasn’t real, not truthfully, anyway. No, New York was the ‘young, immature, in love, idiot’ side of Tom. The ‘Tie-Dye Tom of New York City’ didn’t exist anymore. Tie-Dye Tom was dead.”
January MacLochlainn thinks she’s her own worst enemy.
“I quit Berkeley. Threw away a full scholarship. Plans, you ask? What plans?”
But they’re both wrong. Life for Thomas and January will never be the same again…whether they like it or not.

 “You revived me. You saved me. You did what I’m convinced no other person could have done and believe me they’d tried.” – Thomas

Alrighty, I just want to start out by saying this: Don’t go into this book and expect another story like Callum & Harper, or I think you’ll unfortunately be disappointed. This book’s issues aren’t nearly as heavy as in Callum & Harper; it’s a lighter romantic story. I put Callum & Harper out of my mind and tried not to compare to the two books, because they are very different.  That being said, I loved Thomas and January’s story.

When Thomas is offered a job in Austin, TX as a talent scout, he jumps at the opportunity and takes his broken heart far away from Kelly and New York City. He drops his lighthearted attitude and adopts the personality of an asshole. He starts dressing in dark t-shirts, black hoodies, and black boots. He never lets girls in because he refuses to have his heart broken again; Enter January.

Fresh off being kicked out of her parent’s house because she dropped the bombshell that she wouldn’t be going back to Berkeley, she lands a job at Seven; the same company Thomas works for, and soon learns she will be accompanying him to Europe to scout bands overseas. Why are both of them dreading traveling together? Well, because they’ve already met…sort of…and let’s just say it didn’t go so well. While they are clearly attracted to each other, they have both put up a wall against the other…but just how long will that last?

I just love Thomas and January. Their witty banter back and forth was hilarious, and seeing the progression in both of their feelings towards each other made my heart smile. Thomas started out so cold towards January that I almost didn’t like him, but what he does for her on the ferry is the first time I think I realized that sweet New York Tom was still in there somewhere, and January progressively gets him to break down the walls he’s built up one by one. I think my favorite part of the book is when he finally completely opens up to her about his past while they’re sitting on the floor of the hotel room…or when they’re in the back of the cop car…or when he shows up at her grandma’s house. Okay, okay, fine! I have a lot of favorite parts, but it’s because I loved their story so much! Their issues weren’t as big as Callum and Harper’s, but they were issues they had to work through nonetheless, and some of those issues broke my heart a little.

One other plus is that you get to catch up with the characters from Callum & Harper, which I loved because I adored all of them.  If you enjoyed Callum & Harper, I would definitely recommend this book, but you just can’t go into it expecting the same type of love story. Thomas and January have their own story, and it’s adorable, frustrating, sometimes a little steamy, and incredibly entertaining.



No comments:

Post a Comment