Monday, October 22, 2012

Seduced in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

(The Dark Duet series, book 2)
What is the price of redemption?
Rescued from sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a debt that must be paid in blood.
The road has been long and fraught with uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.
Can he surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance?
Or will he make the ultimate sacrifice?

“For the love of Christ, shut – up! Let a bitch enjoy her mental breakdown in peace.” – Livvie

Holy mother of God. This book did something to me. I finished it over a week ago, and I’m still thinking about it; I’m still feeling it. I’ve even tried to read a couple light books to bring my emotions back to normal, and it’s not working. I have this book hangover that just won’t go away. C.J. Roberts, I think you have officially fucked up my head…and I’m not even mad about it.

Seduced in the Dark doesn’t pick up where Captive in the Dark left off; it’s months later. The story goes back and forth between Livvie and Caleb’s POV, as well as the past and the present, and ultimately brings the story of Livvie and Caleb to a close. I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I really can’t discuss any of the plot, but I can tell you how much I fucking loved this book…and how much it fucked with every fiber of my being.

The relationship between Livvie and Caleb was taken to an entirely different level than in the previous book, Captive in the Dark, and it tore me apart. It’s hard for me to explain how much of an emotional toll Seduced in the Dark took on me, but I’ll try. Do you know that feeling you get when something terrible happens to you? Where you start shaking and no matter what, you can’t stop? Where you feel like you’ve been gutted and your stomach is hollow? Like you could be sick to your stomach or cry or maybe both at the same time? That’s how I felt during some of the scenes between Caleb and Livvie. Seriously. I was that invested. Some of the scenes were just so incredibly hard to stomach. Some of the scenes were so tender that I thought maybe Caleb was going to change his mind. There were several times that I had tears in my eyes; I hurt for Livvie that much. You know, as the reader I almost felt like C.J. Roberts was Caleb and I was Livvie. She would dangle something in front of me to give me hope and then snatch it away. My emotions were tugged back and forth so many times that by the time I finished the book, I was emotionally exhausted. I love books that can do that to me; that make me feel like there is a void in me after I finish them. Seduced in the Dark did exactly that.

The scenes are just as intense, if not more so, than they were in Captive in the Dark so brace yourself. But guys…this series was absolutely incredible. I feel like a fucking sicko for loving it so much, but if being a sicko is wrong…I don’t wanna be right. (God, I don’t think I could get any cheesier than that.) I fell in love with Caleb and Livvie’s story, and this series is one that will stick with me for a long time. I’m sitting here now thinking that this review really doesn’t even do it justice; it just doesn’t. I could write a 10 page review and it still couldn’t possibly fully describe what I felt while reading this book. Seduced in the Dark was breathtaking, heart wrenching, gut twisting, mind fucking, and disturbingly, sickeningly perfect. 



Not available through Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment