Monday, October 8, 2012

That Boy by Jillian Dodd

(That Boy series, book 1)
You know, being friends with two cute boys does have its benefits.
There’s Danny. Danny is a golden boy in every way. He has dreamy blue eyes and blonde hair that always looks perfect, even when it’s windblown or been stuck under a football helmet. He’s the boy every girl crushes on. The boy I get into trouble with, the boy I fight with, the hot quarterback no girl can resist, not even me. Being with Danny is like being on an adventure. He has a bright, contagious smile and abs to die for. He’s pretty much irresistible.
Equally crush worthy is Phillip. Adorable, sweet Phillip, who I have known since birth. Phillip has dark hair, a perfect smile, brown eyes, and the sexiest voice I have ever heard. He’s the boy I talk to every night before I go to sleep. The boy who rescues me, the boy who can read my mind, the boy who is always there for me, the boy who tries to keep me out of trouble, the boy who irritatingly keeps getting hotter, and whose strong arms always seem to find their way around me. And when he gives me that grin, I can never say no.
One boy will give me my very first kiss.
One boy will teach me to make out.
One boy will take me to prom.
And finally, one boy will ask me to marry him.
They will both be my best friends.
But only one of them will be the boy I fall in love with.
Only one of them is That Boy.

You what type of romances I love just as much as those driven by angst? The ones where the boy and girl become friends when they are both just knee high to a grasshopper, they grow up together and stay best friends throughout grade school, middle school, high school, college…and then one day they both realize they are in love with each other. Those are the stories that turn me into a huge cheeseball and leave me grinning from ear to ear. THAT is why I love That Boy.

Jayden has two best friends: Danny and Phillip. Danny is the spontaneous, rebellious, smoking hot quarterback that every girl wants to date; Phillip is the more reserved, equally as hot, and so sweet he’ll give you a toothache prince charming of the two, but they were both so protective of Jayden that it made my heart smile. As the three of them grow up together, they start to notice each other in a “more than friendship” kind of way, and eventually one of them proposes to her. Which one asks her to marry him? Does she say yes? What about the other guy? All those questions are answered...but Jillian Dodd makes you wait. And wait. And wait to find out!! The first page starts off present tense with “that boy” proposing to her, but we don’t get her answer AND we don’t know which one it is until the end of the book! Luckily, the wonderful story of these three best friends consumed my attention and made me take my mind of the proposal…well…for a little while, at least!

I loved the way this book was written; each chapter was a significant aspect of Jayden’s life starting with her in 4th grade. One of the main reasons why I love That Boy is because nothing feels rushed; you see these three characters grow up together from 4th graders to college students. I have never been a big fan of “insta-romances” because I just don’t really buy into them; I love the stories where the characters come together over time…probably because I am a firm believer that the best relationships stem from friendships *shrugs* I can’t help it! I love seeing a friendship turn into a relationship.

I loved all three of the main characters, although I didn’t really find myself going back and forth between Danny and Phillip as much as I initially thought I would; I was pretty much planted on Team Phillip. I adored both of them, but what can I say? I have always preferred dark-haired guys over blondes! 

The ending was perfection, and when Jayden explains what “that boy” whispered in her ear after he proposed the first time, I melted like a stick of butter on a hot day; mainly because it’s the cutest freaking thing ever but also because he actually remembered that from so long ago!! It’s just adorable. Oh, and any book that references the Kansas City Chiefs definitely gets some points in my book! (Hey, I know they suck but I’ve been a Chiefs fan since birth, so damn it, I roll with them through the good times AND the bad!)

If you want a sweet, light, funny romance, That Boy is your book. It will leave you wishing “that boy” was proposing to you and trust me, you’ll want to jump right into That Wedding. Jillian Dodd, you just plain rock, girl! I said you were one of my favorites after I read Stalk Me., and after I finished That Boy, it only solidified that statement!  Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go round up some hot guys for a game of strip football! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment