Tuesday, October 9, 2012

That Wedding by Jillian Dodd

(That Boy series, book 2)
The gorgeous engagement ring on my finger mimics my happiness.
I feel so sparkly, glittery, and full of promise, because I absolutely know he’s that boy.
The boy I want to marry. My prince. My happily ever after.
But then our pastor starts asking lots of questions.
His parents say I haven’t dealt with my past.
I have horrible wedding disaster dreams.
I can’t find the perfect dress.
I have to manipulate him to get my way.
My old boyfriend asks me to run away with him.
My best friend says I’m going to ruin everything.
And forever starts to sound like a really long time.
Which totally freaks me out and makes me question everything I know.
Should best friends get married?
Will my past affect our relationship?
Are my horrible dreams a warning?
Will I ever find a dress?
Could his sexiness be clouding my judgment?
Am I going to ruin everything?
Or is it just a case of cold feet?
And then I have to decide. Am I willing to give up on true love forever, or am I going to listen to my heart and marry him?

“Don’t brides know that white wedding cake and an open bar are the only two reasons people go to weddings?” – JJ

I started reading That Wedding on October 4th. I was the maid of honor in a wedding on October 6th. After seeing my best friend since 3rd grade get married, and almost feeling like I was there for JJ and Phillip’s wedding, I think it’s safe to say I am going to encourage all guys to steer clear of me for a few weeks; this girl may or may not have caught wedding fever and I think my pupils have been replaced with hearts. Don’t worry, I’m busy working on a cure to fix it so I’m not walking around like a lovesick puppy; but while I’m busy doing that, enjoy my review of That Wedding!

I thought I loved Phillip in That Boy, but sweet mother of all that is holy…I love him even more after reading That Wedding!! I am usually partial to the bad boy or more rebellious guy in books (and real life) but Phillip made me veer into the other lane and fall hard for the “good guy”, no doubt about that! He is the perfect balance to JJ’s personality, and I mean could he be more perfect?! He’s incredibly sweet, he loves football and drinking beer, and he definitely enjoys a nice roll in the hay; yep, I’ll take him! ;)

JJ grated on me a little bit towards the middle of the book, specifically her night at Kegger’s. I just wanted to reach into the book, shake her and yell, “Do you realize what you’re doing?!? YOU ARE ENGAGED TO MR. PRINCE CHARMING! SNAP OUT OF IT, HOMEGIRL!!” Luckily, she came to her senses and grew up towards the end of the book, which put her back in my good graces. Their night on the swings made me tear up and was absolutely one of my favorite moments from both books combined; it’s just plain perfect.

In all honesty, there are just too many things that made me this book wonderful so I’ll just list a few of my favorites:

1)     Naughty Dream Week
2)     Freebies: if you’ve done it with a guy in the past, it doesn’t count against you (I have always been a strong enforcer of the freebie rule)
3)     JJ’s spider freak out; more specifically, her ramblings on what the spider was thinking/planning
4)     The STD story (I really thought I was going to die from laughter)
5)     The fuzzy socks
6)     Their actual wedding day
7)     The tradition of kicking off the holiday season with a trip to KC to shop and see the Plaza Lights (I’m from Kansas, and my family has been doing that exact same thing for as long as I can remember; shopping, dinner, and the Plaza Lights the weekend after Thanksgiving)

I really liked That Boy, but That Wedding took Phillip and JJ’s relationship to a whole other level and I just absolutely loved it! It will make you swoon like you did over your very first crush, grin like the Joker (only not creepy…I feel the need to stress that; NOT CREEPY), laugh your freaking face off, and maybe even shed a few tears. It’s an incredible book, and I absolutely cannot wait for That Baby! This is definitely a series that you need to read now! Just a fair warning though: it may cause you to turn into a huge, googily-eyed, lovesick mess of a woman but trust me…it’s worth it!

Oh, and in case you were wondering…I think my pupils are still hearts. Damn it!




No comments:

Post a Comment