Friday, May 25, 2012

Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair

(Masters of the Shadowlands series, book 1)
Her car disabled during a tropical storm, Jessica Randall discovers the isolated house where she’s sheltering is a private bondage club. At first shocked, she soon becomes aroused watching the interactions between the Doms and their subs. But she’s a professional woman – an accountant – and surely isn’t a submissive…is she?

Master Z hasn’t been so attracted to a woman in years. But the little sub who has wandered into his club intrigues him. She’s intelligent. Reserved. Conservative. After he discovers her interest in BDSM, he can’t resist tying her up and unleashing the passion she hides within.


WARNING: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language and a strong BDSM theme.


After I finished the Shades of Grey trilogy, I decided I wanted to explore that genre a little more and stumbled upon this series on Goodreads. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect since I have never read anything by Cherise Sinclair before; I’m happy to say I wasn’t disappointed. I will just say this: if you have a strong aversion to BDSM, I would advise against this book. The scenes involving Doms and subs can get rather graphic and include but are not limited to: whipping, restraining, caning, bondage, spanking, and exhibitionism. If you think you can handle that, pull up a seat and we’ll get down to business.


I was surprisingly hooked on this book and since it was short, I was able to finish it in one day. Right off the bat, we are introduced to the two main characters: Jessica, the conservative account who stumbles upon this bondage club by accident, and Master Z, the owner of the club and eventually Jessica’s Dom.


Master Z introduces Jessica to the world of BDSM, and her first night at the club is one of my favorite parts of the book. Her reaction to the Dom/sub relationships, the various equipment, the different rooms, etc. was entertaining and pretty funny. I remember reading that part and thinking “That is exactly how I would be if I was in her situation!” I would probably be intrigued but I’d also be scared as hell! I’ve never been in that kind of atmosphere, and I haven’t gotten into BDSM personally. I actually felt kind of bad for her during her punishment for breaking up a scene, and I actually caught myself cringing a little bit when Jessica started crying and her punishment wasn’t over yet. OH MY GOSH, and I could not believe the punishment Master Z had given Adrienne for disobeying her Dom. I mean…WOW!


Now, onto Jessica and Master Z; I think I like them together but since the book was so short, I’m not 100% sold yet. They have only been together for two nights so we just kind of touch the surface of their Dom/sub relationship, as well as any romantic connection that may stem from this. That being said, their sex scenes together are freaking hot! I mean, I got a little hot and bothered just reading them, y’all! The part that really got me was when Master Z was doing a demonstration in the medical room, Jessica volunteered as the sub (her Dom isn’t touching anybody but her!), and unbeknownst to her, another Dom will also be pleasuring her. She’s blindfolded and restrained. There are toys involved. There is an audience. It’s intense and it’s HOT!


There were a couple things I found farfetched, which is why I am only giving it 3 stars. First of all, I find it hard to believe that someone as meticulous as Jessica would sign these documents without reading all the way through them. If a nightclub requires your signature, you MIGHT want to read through and figure out why! Secondly, I could not believe Jessica’s willingness to not only let Master Z watch her shower five minutes after meeting him, but letting him dry her off! I mean, really?! She is supposed to be reserved and conservative, and I feel like both of my “bugaboos” go against whom her character is.


We learn very little about any of the other Doms in this club but from reading the synopsis for the second book in this series, it will focus on a new sub and one of the other Doms, Master Dan. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series, and I’m anxious to learn about some of the other Doms! Bring ‘em on, strap me down, whatever…I’m ready for the next book!




No comments:

Post a Comment