Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

(The Hunger Games trilogy, book 3)
Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss’s family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.
It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans – except Katniss.
The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss’s willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels’ Mockingjay – no matter what the personal cost.

In Catching Fire, Katniss and Peeta were sent back into the arena for the Quarter Quell; the twist in the 75th anniversary was that the tributes from each district would be made up of victors from past Hunger Games. As the only girl to ever win from District 12, Katniss was forced to be thrown back into the arena. The Head Gamemaker was part of the rebellion, and managed to convince all of the victor tributes to do whatever it took to keep Katniss alive. They rescued her from the arena and have deposited her into District 13, which up until now, everyone thought had been destroyed by the Capitol. They have been secretly been building an underground community and have been plotting to take over the Capitol.

While in the arena, a number of districts staged rebellions and are behind the movement to overthrow the Capitol. In an attempt to persuade the remaining districts, Katniss is thrown into the role of the Mockingjay; the face of the rebellion. Through bombings, weapon training, raids, and deaths of loved ones, Katniss attempts to fulfill her personal mission: kill President Snow.

I loved this book, although I must say it was my least favorite of the trilogy. It may have just been because I was upset that it was the last book and that meant this story that I had fallen in love with was actually almost over. Even so, I didn’t find it as good as the first two books.

One of the main things I didn’t like about this book was that Peeta was somewhat absent for almost half of it. I’ll be the first to admit that I just love Peeta…love, love, love him! He was kidnapped by the Capitol while in the arena and is being held captive in an attempt to thwart the rebellion. His and Katniss’s relationship takes a hideous turn, and it absolutely breaks my heart. Gale kind of rubbed me the wrong way in this book, and some of his comments he made actually made me wonder if he was glad Peeta was…well…the way he was. He no longer posed as a threat to him securing a relationship with Katniss. Now, I’m biased because as I’ve said in my previous reviews I am a huge Katniss & Peeta fan. I want them together, and for the first time since the first book I really thought they weren’t going to end up together. Do they? Well, I can’t tell you that!

Some parts seemed to drag a little bit, however I did like that Suzanne Collins went into more detail on the lives of Finnick and Johanna, and if it’s possible I became an even bigger fan of Finnick than I was in Catching Fire. I actually did cry a little bit while reading this book, and my heart ached for Katniss on a couple different occasions. The ending was pretty perfect, although slightly bittersweet. I grew so attached to these characters that I didn’t want this mesmerizing story that spanned over three novels to end. Harry Potter has always been my favorite book series, but if The Hunger Games trilogy didn’t surpass it, it’s damn close. Let’s all give a round of applause to Suzanne Collins for this captivating, heart wrenching, kickass trilogy!

***On a side note: one of my all-time favorite lines from a book came from Mockingjay. Here it is:

So after, when he whispers, “You love me. Real or not real?”

No comments:

Post a Comment