Friday, May 25, 2012

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

(The Opportunist series, book 1)
Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.

“You can only give your heart away once, after that, everything else will chase your first love.” – The Opportunist

Holy. Fuck. I honestly don’t even know where to start or HOW to start reviewing this book. I finished it yesterday morning, and I can’t stop thinking about it! My emotions got thrown all over the place; I felt like a 25-year-old going through early menopause! I was pissed off, I was heartbroken, I was hopeful, I was devastated; I loved the main characters and I hated the main characters. I wanted Olivia and Caleb together but then I didn’t, and then I did; to say this book was an emotional rollercoaster is an understatement. This book freaking owned me emotionally. I honestly can’t remember a book I read where not only did I feel so many emotions throughout the book, but felt them all at once! It’s emotional overload.

I had a pretty severe love/hate relationship with Olivia and Caleb throughout the book. There were times I found myself smiling while reading about their dates, listening to their banter, and holding out hope that they just might be able to make things work…and then there were times I just wanted to smack both of them! I was heartbroken when I read the office scene and in that moment, I hated Caleb. I felt so terrible for Olivia until she has her brilliant idea to get back at him. As I was reading that part, I literally said out loud “NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!” I just wanted to shake some sense into her and yell “DON’T DO IT, HOMEGIRL!!” I was devastated at this point in the book, and true to form, it wasn’t over yet. I thought I couldn’t feel any more emotion for their relationship than I already had, and I was wrong. Their exchange in the hotel room broke me. The image of Caleb on his knees crying silently just absolutely killed me. It was at that moment that I just had to stop reading for a moment and take in the events that led up to this situation. These two people who loved each other so much have destroyed their relationship; they both let their selfishness, their pride, and their manipulations shatter any chance they had at being together.

I’m still a little torn on how I feel about the ending. I think the best word I can use to describe it, is bittersweet. I wasn’t necessarily happy about it, but it makes sense. This book has done a number on me emotionally, and yet I can’t wait until the next book is released. I will be recommending this book to everyone. It’s memorable, it’s heartbreaking, it’s addictive, and it made me hurt for these characters. It’s just a crazy good book! WHEW…I need a drink.



No comments:

Post a Comment