Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

(Sookie Stackhouse series, book 6)
Since Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse has so few living relatives, she hates to lose one – even her cousin Hadley, undead consort of the vampire Queen of Louisiana. Hadley’s left everything she has to Sookie, but claiming that inheritance has a high risk factor. Some people don’t want her looking too deeply into Hadley’s past, or Hadley’s possessions. And they’re prepared to do anything in their power to stop her. Whoever it is, they’re definitely dangerous – and Sookie’s life is definitely on the line…

It’s no mystery that I love magic considering my obsession with Harry Potter, and this book has plenty of it! Alright, let’s take it from the top. First of all, Sookie has officially kicked her vamps to the curb and started dating weretiger and over-user of the word “babe”, Quinn. Ugh. Don’t get me started on this relationship. I’ll just say you won’t see me jumping on the Team Quinn bandwagon anytime soon.

Meanwhile, Sookie loses one of the few relatives she has left: her vamp cousin, Hadley…who also happens to be the Queen of Louisiana’s lover. When Sookie finds out Hadley has left all of her possessions to her, she takes a trip down to New Orleans (or Nawlins, as I like to call it) to settle her affairs. It’s here she meets Hadley’s landlord, a young witch named Amelia who has put Hadley’s apartment under a stasis spell. I absolutely adore Amelia! She is such a breath of fresh air to this series, and adds some welcomed comedic relief. After Amelia lifts the spell, she and Sookie find that Hadley had bitten a werewolf in order to turn him vamp, and hid him the closet. You can probably guess what happens next: new vampire craves blood, Sookie and Amelia have said blood, attack ensues, and Sookie winds up in the hospital. It’s here that we find out a shocking detail about why Bill moved to Bon Temps in the first place. I don’t want to say it was a welcome twist, but to be honest I’ve kind of cooled on my love of Bill. I really didn’t see this coming, and I have to wonder if it’s maybe Harris’s attempt to put a stake in the Bill/Sookie relationship.  See what I did there? Just a little vampire humor for you; you’re welcome.

My favorite part of the book is when Amelia and her witch buddies cast an ectoplasmic reconstruction spell; it’s a spell that reconstructs the events of a specified event. They cast the spell in order to see what events led to Hadley biting Jake Purifoy, the werewolf turned vampire hidden in her closet. It’s pretty damn awesome. After being introduced to Amelia, I was praying that Harris would find a way to keep her character around for the remainder of the series. We don’t really get to see Sookie in a female friendship, aside from Tara and her character is rarely a factor in the books.

I really enjoyed this book, with the exception of the Quinn and Sookie romance. Oh! I forgot to mention one little nugget of information that made me roll my eyes and literally say “oh my god…” out loud. Quinn and Sookie dry hump in the kitchen and he enjoys it a little too much if you get my drift. I mean, really? That is something that would happen to a 14 year old boy who got dry humped by a girl for the first time. I was over Quinn before he and Sookie even became an actual couple, so the only thing I’m hoping is that in the next book she decides she wants a man/vampire/were-something that doesn’t get off just from dry humping with clothes on. With that being said…bring on book 7!



No comments:

Post a Comment