Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dark Citadel by Cherise Sinclair

(Masters of the Shadowlands series, book 2)
After Kari breaks up with her date during Beginner’s Night at Club Shadowlands, she’s given the option to continue with an experienced dominant. Despite her steamy fantasies about BDSM, the inexperienced school teacher plans to simply observe. Yet under the unyielding hands of Master Dan, she not only participates, but gives him everything he asks for. There is nothing she can hide from him. Not her passion…or her love.

WARNING: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and a strong BDSM theme. It is not appropriate for young adults.

“Aside from your safe word, you have no say, no opinions, no control.” – Master Dan

After finishing the second book in this series, it’s official: I’m hooked! I was a little hesitant to read this series because it sounded a little intense, but I have found myself intrigued by the different Doms at Shadowlands. This book focuses on a different Dom and sub than the first book; Master Dan, whose wife died in a car accident and has a reputation for never taking a specific sub for more than one night, and the school teacher, Kari who is inexperienced in the world of BDSM.

She shows up at Club Shadowlands with her boyfriend, Buck, who is a huge douche. I guess in his defense he is inexperienced in the world of BDSM too, and takes the role of being a Dom to the extreme; he’s a complete and total ass to her. After ditching him, she assigned to Master Dan who immediately falls in lust with Kari. After fooling around a little on her first night of the beginner’s course, Kari has every intention of returning for the second night because she just can’t get enough of Master Dan. Regardless of her attraction to Master Dan, Kari constantly wrestles with her choices; she can’t understand why she enjoys this behavior and feels like she shouldn’t. Master Dan has an excellent quote to try and ease her mind: “Why they think everyone should be alike in making love when no one can even agree on what ice cream they like, I’ll never know.”  

Kari returns for the second night, has sex with Master Dan for the first time, and has her world freaking rocked. It’s not only a big night for Kari, who had sex for the first time while being restrained, but also for Dan; it was his first time taking the same sub twice. The third night, which requires some crafty work on Jessica’s part (she’s the Master Z’s sub from book 1) to get Dan to realize how much he wants to be with Kari, is the most intense. Dan’s punishment for Kari for back talking him and complaining about her outfit was pretty damn embarrassing! I would have probably started crying…then again, I’m a wimp. BUT, my favorite part was The Capture Gardens! OH. MY. GOSH! I’m not even going to try and pretend like the whole premise of the game didn’t intrigue me. It’s essentially hide-and-seek mixed with tag, only when a Dom catches his sub, he gets to decide what to do with her and as always, she must oblige or risk punishment. WHEW…I got a little hot and bothered after that!

I actually liked this book a little better than the first book. I didn’t really have a preference in regards to Jessica or Kari, I liked them both pretty much the same but I did like Master Dan a little better than Master Z. I really hope there is a book that focuses on Master Cullen though, because I think he’s my favorite so far and he hasn’t even been THAT involved! Overall, I really liked this book although it was slightly more intense than the first one. I loved Kari and Master Dan together, and as much as he helped her realize her passion and eagerness for BDSM, she helped him just as much with finally coming to terms with his wife’s death. I’m ready for book 3 and to learn about the horribly intimidating Master Nolan! 



No comments:

Post a Comment