Thursday, May 31, 2012

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

(Slammed series, book 1)
After the unexpected death of her father forces eighteen-year-old Layken and her family to move across the country, away from everyone and everything she knows, her outlook on life is anything but hopeful.
Enter Will Cooper: the attractive twenty-one year old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry. After a night tonight that turns out to be everything but expected, both Layken and Will are left with feelings they never knew they could have. Unfortunately in Layken’s life, things are never what they seem. Just as quickly as it develops, their relationship is derailed by a shocking revelation, sparking a tumultuous battle between their hearts and their ethics.
As if the dramatic turn of events in her life isn’t enough, Layken is slammed again when her mother reveals a secret of her own. A secret so intense, all of Layken’s current problems pale in comparison to her seemingly insurmountable future. Unable to confront the changes that lie ahead of her, Layken ignores her conscience as she turns to Will for solace. Struggles ensue as both Layken and Will search for a balance between that which keeps them apart and feelings that pull them together.

“I wish I could freeze this moment. I wish we could just carve pumpkins forever…” – Layken

WOW! This is one of the best books I have ever read and it is definitely one that I will read again in the future. I finished this book in one day because I was obsessed…just plain obsessed. I couldn’t put my Nook down and when I finished it, I had tears in my eyes. Okay, fine! I’ll be honest! I had tears streaming down my face. (Hey…I’m emotional!) Actually, I’m not even blaming the fact that I’m emotional for crying multiple times reading this book; it’s the writing. It is just brilliant. The storylines all flow together so well, and I absolutely fell in love with these characters.

First of all, Lake (yes, I’m on a nickname basis with her) is such a strong character. Oh, and how great is her name?! Layken. I LOVE IT! She has been dealt a hand that would cause most people to crumble, but with the exception of a couple bad days, she handles it all with maturity. The nurturing she provides to her younger brother Kel when her mother is busy working the night shift and sleeping during the day makes you forget that she’s only eighteen-years-old. I just adored her so much, and my heart ached for her throughout the book.

Ahhh, Will. I fell in love with him when he pulled out two grilled cheese sandwiches and sodas from a bag…in his car…for his and Lake’s first date. I don’t know why, but I just found that so freaking cute. What can I say? I’m a romantic ;) My emotions got toyed with reading this book more than they ever have in any of my relationships (I think that’s a good thing?) and it seemed like every time they would just maybe be working things out, I got slapped in the face with a big “AH HA, FOOLED YOU!” Colleen Hoover, you are a sneaky little trick…and I love you for it!

The last character I really loved was Lake’s best friend, Eddie. First of all, Eddie is a girl and you learn later on the actually meaning of her name. Without giving away too much, she has been bounced around foster homes because her mother was a crackhead who didn’t have time for her. Despite her upbringing, Eddie shines such a positive light on this book as a whole. She was the one picking up Lake when she needed it, she pushed her in the right direction; she was essentially her guiding light. The scene on Eddie’s birthday; I absolutely lost it. I was full on crying at my desk at work while I read that part. I just loved her character so much and to see her boyfriend do that for her was just too much for my emotions to handle!

I don’t want to say anything more, because I don’t want to give away any of the spoilers for this book. I feel like it would ruin the emotional ride if you had any hints as to what issues arise in Layken and Will’s relationship, as well as her mother’s secret. This is absolutely one of my all-time favorite books, and I can’t wait to start reading the sequel. The writing is brilliant, the characters are phenomenal, the relationships will give you hope, break your heart, make you smile, and make you cry. Slammed is just perfection. Absolute perfection.



No comments:

Post a Comment